[Vpn-help] New 2.1.0 beta 1 release ...

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Sat Mar 1 19:02:30 CST 2008

Peter Eisch wrote:
> I had some reasonable success with 2.1.0b-x8 (was that the right rev?) on XP
> connecting to a domain where the system has never been a member.  Some
> things worked right away but others worked after about 2 minutes.  With my
> success I passed it off to others.  First report of the others still had the
> 10 minutes before things worked by name.  The first 10 minutes using IP
> addrs work just fine.
>
> As others report, so shall I.

Peter,

Drat! I would absolutely love to fix this problem but I just can't
reproduce it locally on any windows platform. There must be something
different between the way your systems are configured and my test
systems. The key to getting this issue resolved is identifying what that
difference is so I can reproduce the problem locally. Once I can, it
will just take me hammering on it ( and I will ) until we find a
solution that fixes both my test case and your real world case.

Do you happen to have VMWare or something similar to build a test
scenario? Setting up a blank system that only has the Microsoft service
packs and the most rudimentary network configuration possible would be a
good place to start. Afterwards, apply your custom network settings, add
software that you would normally install, join it to the domain, etc ...
Between each step, run a quick test with the VPN Client connection. At
some point the problem should appear. With VMware you can do checkpoints
and roll back after you think you have found the problem to re-verify. I
would be more than happy to do this myself but I don't know all the
intimate details of your standard workstation configuration. I also
don't have access to your VPN gateway. I do have a NetBSD system setup
but this doesn't seem to be a factor from my local testing.