[vpn-help] WIN7 & NET USE problem / TRACE utility won't

John Wilson jwilson9 at rochester.rr.com
Wed Jan 6 19:13:34 CST 2010

Mathew,

Yes, I can ping across the tunnel as you described.  1500mtu works fine.  As
does 1380, 1200, or any other setting I try.  I am getting longer times that
you . around 55ms and my TTL=254.

Trace "sort-of" works now.  I am getting info on the Security Policies,
Security Associations and Firewall Rules tabs, but nothing on IKE Service,
DNS Service and IPSEC Service tabs.  Does that mean anything?

I had signed up for the list with my work email, but have been communicating
with you with my home email.  I just signed up for the home email so that I
can respond to you via the list.

Thanks,
John

On 1/5/2010 8:08 PM, John Wilson wrote:
> Matthew, thanks for your help.    But, changing mtu settings didn't
> help.    Tried several settings with no change.    Also, using the
> ping command of previous member to determine optimal mtu setting
> indicated that default of 1380 was fine (no DF problem).

So you can ping hosts on the other side of the tunnel using using a 1500
byte packet and get a response?

C:\Users\mgrooms>ping -l 1500 10.1.2.100

Pinging 10.1.2.100 with 1500 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 10.1.2.100:

> Also, I cannot get the trace function to do anything.    Start, stop,
> restart buttons do nothing, and there are no log entries for any of
> the tabs.    What am I doing wrong?

You must run the VPN Trace application as administrator. Right click on
the program icon and "Run as Administrator". At that point, you can use
the application as intended.

> And, one last stupid question?    I don't know how to"respond"  to
> these questions to keep them in the mail listing correctly.    Can
> you help me out?

You must become a member of the mailing list before you can post. See
the following url for more information ...