[vpn-help] Win 7 x64 VPN incompatibility with some 3rd party firewalls

Brent Jones jbjones at salud.unm.edu
Tue Jan 19 10:36:00 CST 2010

Good morning list -

Hopefully this will assist some people having problems getting the Shrew
Soft VPN client working with their Win 7 x64 connection problems to
their VPN host.

I have found that on two of my Windows 7 x64 machines running the
Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 product with the Kaspersky firewall
*installed*, I would experience the problem of the Shew Soft VPN client
connecting to my Cisco VPN gateway, but then disconnecting about 30
seconds later with the commonly reported "session terminated by gateway"
message.  Changing options in the Phase 2 configuration settings had no
effect to solve the problem.

After *uninstalling* the Kaspersky firewall component of their Internet
Security product and reverting to the Windows firewall, the problem went
away and I am happily connecting to my Cisco gateway.  I have verified
this on two of my Win 7 x64 machines.

If you have Kaspersky and are experiencing this problem, simply
disabling the firewall will not solve the problem.  You must uninstall
the network firewall component entirely.  I'm guessing there is some
issue with their firewall drivers and how they interact with the VPN
drivers, and you must remove the Kaspersky ones to get things working.

Other 3rd party firewall products may be affected similarly.  If you're
having problems getting the VPN client to work and are getting the
"session terminated by gateway" error shortly after it connects, try
removing your 3rd party firewall if you have one and see if it works.

I haven't looked into the problem any further, and am happy that it's
working.

Cheers,
Brent

--