[vpn-help] Does ShrewSoft VPN client work with Juniper SSG20 Firmware v6.1?

Marcus Robinson marcus at marcusrobinson.info
Sun Mar 27 09:17:07 CDT 2011

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your response. I did indeed notice this discrepancy in the help
page, but I made sure to use my own "client.myvpn.com" in both Juniper
firewall and client phase 1 settings. Same as well for the phase 2 settings,
using "vpngw.myvpn.com", so I don't think that's the issue.

I've also checked the following - I can telnet to the public IP of the
Juniper VPN on port 80, but I can't telnet to the public IP of the Juniper
VPN on port 500. The firewall I sit behind definitely has port 500 open and
I've disabled my Win7 firewall. Is there something I need to do on the
Juniper to enable access on port 500? The Juniper is giving the *"**Phase 1
packet arrived from an unrecognized peer gateway."*, so I imagine the
request is making it through, so port 500 probably isn't the issue...

Really stumped on this one - can you see anything else in the help docs that
might be off?

I noticed another discrepancy in the Phase 1 Security settings in the help
page. It says in the instructions to use  this:

Phase 1 Proposal

   - pre-g2-3des-sha
   - pre-g2-3des-md5
   - pre-g2-aes128-sha
   - pre-g2-aes128-md5

And yet the screenshot of the settings shows something different - it looks
like it's using:

   - pre-g2-3des-sha
   - pre-g2-3des-md5
   - pre-g2-aes128-sha
   - pre-g2-aes128-sha

Could this be the issue? Which security settings should I be using? (help
page is here: http://www.shrew.net/support/wiki/HowtoJuniperSsg )

Thanks in advance,
-Marcus