[vpn-help] Regression in Linux shrew 2.1.7 -> OpenBSD 4.8+ roadwarrior VPN

Zak Elep zak.elep at orangeandbronze.com
Thu Oct 20 01:12:56 CDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 11:25 AM, Kevin VPN <kvpn at live.com> wrote:
> On 10/18/2011 12:32 PM, m0gely wrote:
>>
>> Kevin VPN wrote:
>>
>>> Well, unfortunately I'm not sure what to suggest next, other than trying
>>> to compile Shrew yourself. Perhaps it's a problem with the 2.1.7 package?
>>
>> Given that 4.8 is about to go "unsupported", maybe testing on 4.9 would
>> be more prudent? There may be no difference, but if it changes again in
>> 4.9 and the soon to be released 5.0, then spending time on 4.8 isn't
>> worth it.
>>

> Hi m0gely,
>
> We're not currently looking at the OpenBSD gateway as the problem, rather
> that the Shrew 2.1.7 package (or a dependency) in Ubuntu 11.10 may by
> broken.

The OpenBSD gateway I'm testing on is actually a 4.9 version; the VPN
configuration is has remains largely unchanged since its upgrade from
4.8, hence my initial tagging as 4.8+.

> It is a valid point to look at whether the gateway treats the 2.1.5 requests
> and 2.1.7 requests differently.  Previous logs in the thread show that the
> OpenBSD gateway receives and responds to the Shrew 2.1.7 requests properly
> though.

I'm going to try again on a fresh Ubuntu install to narrow down the
problem.  My origin setup was an Ubuntu Natty machine upgrading to
Oneiric, so I saw the shrew upgrade to 2.1.5 to 2.1.7; as Kevin said,
there may be a dependency issue (and maybe even a kernel one, since
the new Ubuntu version ships with Linux 3.0.)

--
Zak B. Elep || orangeandbronze.com
1486 7957 454D E529 E4F1  F75E 5787 B1FD FA53 851D