[vpn-help] Mac OS X support

Matti Haveri matti.haveri at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 09:41:11 CDT 2012

> There is a free VPN client for OS X called IPSecuritas
> (www.lobotomo.com) that has all of the settings needed to connect to
> real routers.  I've used it on both Netgear and Cisco routers with no
> problems.  One thing I really like about it is that you can lock the
> client config so no one can see the settings.  So the EU just downloads
> and installs the config and then imports the config using a install
> password.  The config can be unlocked but it is a different password
> that you have set.  I've rolled it out to a health care company so their
> therapists can access the server.
>
> Regards
>
> Mark Verhyden

Thanks for the info!

I took a peek at IPSecuritas VPN Client. But I didn't get it to work
because at least my initial guesses where to put the Cisco's group
authentication name and password as well as the host ip didn't work.

And I didn't see any way to import a Cisco .pcf file, which was a
great way to get me going with my test with the Shrew Soft VPN Client.

Mac OS X 10.7's built-in VPN works OK. But it seems it still uses MTU
1500 by default. In my experience this made Osirix VERY slow to load
DICOM images. Manually setting MTU to 1356 (Cisco VPN client's
default) fixed this, but I'd rather let the VPN client do that
automatically and switch it back to 1500 when it is done.

thanks,

- Matti