[vpn-help] Connection issues through Arris Modem.

Paul Fox moosefox at inebraska.com
Fri Jan 31 17:41:09 CST 2020

The original post is lacking enuf details to give a better answer than
Mr. Dunn's response of "hung up".

1) Are you working FROM the same location each time this occurs, say,
your home? If yes, I can see how restarting your Arris modem might have
something to do with this issue. I don't see why you would have to
restart your PC/ laptop just because you restarted your Arris.

2) If you are working FROM different locations each time you attempt
this VPN, what is your experience - drops, stable, how long between
issues?

3) How much time do you allow each this occurs? One thing about networks
that many people forget is that each step takes time, and involve many
individual steps in themselves.

4) Are you working wifi, or cabled? Do you notice a difference when
using this service on either connection type?

5) To what location are you making this VPN tunnel? I don't need
specifics, but if you are attempting to connect to a work network from a
remote location, this description sounds to me more like the receiving
end of your tunnel is where the issue lies. What is at the other end? Do
you have access to that hardware, other than thru this VPN? Can you make
adjustments/ fixes to that portion?

6) The remote "hard drives" you are attempting to reach - is it only a
storage device you want to glean files/ data from, or are you actually
"doing work" at the remote location (accessing databases, manipulating
documents, pulling/ pushing data)?

7) How robust is your Arris connection - 100MB synchronuous/
asynchronous?

Please give us some more info so we can help narrow down your issue
Blessings! - Paul