[vpn-devel] Porting VPN Client to Windows RT

Alexander Mamaev mamaich at live.ru
Mon Apr 15 23:47:04 CDT 2013

Buying a Windows RT tablet may be a waste of money - as it allows running only a limited set of apps, and as it is just a first windows version that targets ARM CPU - it is really buggy. The only pro - is a good battery life.
Windows RT WDK is not available to MSDN subscribers. It is available only to OEMs, as MS officially prohibits creation of Windows RT drivers or desktop programs by independent software vendors. Only "metro" apps are officially allowed.There is an unofficial "jailbreak" that allows running of unsigned desktop apps and testsigned drivers. And there is a hack for Visual Studio 2012 that allows building programs/drivers for ARM (of cause you'll need ARM LIB files).
Here are the links if you are interested:Jailbreak: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2092158Build instructions: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2096820
I can provide the working set of .LIB files needed for building kernel mode (contents of "\Program Files\Windows Kits\8.0\Lib\win8\km\arm\") and user mode ("\Program Files\Windows Kits\8.0\Lib\win8\um\arm") ARM programs so that you would not need to dig through xda-developers forum looking for them. Fortunately public Windows 8 SDK and WDK already contain all ARM headers.