[vpn-help] Client features, perchance a wishlist

Peter Eisch peter at boku.net
Wed Aug 23 10:47:20 CDT 2006

 - There should be a way to see the spd's and or at least purge them.
    This is most useful in debugging, but if the disconnect doesn't go
cleanly the user won't know how to reset the ipsecd.  The client will
continue to use the phase 1 key while the server may have expired the key
(er, or the server got reset perhaps?).

 - The session panel should minimize to the system tray like most any other
"network interface" icon.

 - Rolling over the session panel in the system tray should bubble the same
information as displayed under the network tab.

 - (blue sky thought) use the XP login auth credentials
(login/domain/password) as the login at domain/passsword or atleast
login/password when using a login and password
    In the Auth tab of the config, provide a checkbox to use the domain
login information.  There could be a hidden config (like for the banner)
that could disable that checkbox for managed installs.

 - When you click on "Disconnect" in the session panel, the message that
appears indicates that the session ended prematurely.
    If clicking on the button is premature, what would be the right time to
terminate?

 - When the session ends for any reason other than the user clicking
Disconnect, offer the option to automatically reconnect.
    This could be in the preferences pane as an option.

 - Is there a way to start a session from a .bat script?

 - The DPD support, as you noted, would be good too

I'll see if I can get -current running of ipsec-tools in my lab and get this
pushed over to stable systems we can continue to work with here.

Thanks,

peter