[vpn-help] Updated package and problem reports

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Fri Aug 18 22:29:50 CDT 2006

Peter Eisch wrote:

> Is there reassembly?  I though the only time frags got reassembled was on a
> proxy server or on the remote application.  VPN software can't possibly
> cache chunks of payload for arbitrary periods of time, can it?  Maybe I need
> to read more code.

The hold time is very short as its all local. It does cut down on extra
packet transmissions in some cases.

> Where do these files live?  I guess because I live outside of the app's home
> in Program Files I haven't stumbled across them.

In the <client root path>\debug. This would typically be ...

C:\Program Files\ShrewSoft\VPN Client\debug

> I'll hit the client here when I'm up for real.

I corrected one other bug in the client today that was related to packet
loss. Here is the changelog ...

Modify the VProt driver to return fragmented UDP packets for
re-assembly. This was causing fragmented NATT UDP packets to be
discarded as the following fragments were not being seen by IPSECD.

... I was mistaken when I thought NetBSD was not sending NATT UDP packet
fragments. It was actually me running the tcpdump with a filter that was
too restrictive.

http://www.shrew.net/vpn/vpn-client-1.0-rc-4.exe

I think this is the last reported bug that I am able to reproduce. Could
you please send me any outstanding bug reports after testing this build.
I would like to get 1.0 out the door as soon as possible.

Thanks again to you both,