[vpn-help] Policy configuration

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Tue Mar 14 03:38:45 CST 2006

Michael Ragusa wrote:
> i just tried out the new beta8 client and it was able to establish a
> tunnel but the problem is that im not able to ping the internal gateway
> or telnet to any services on the gateways internal interface nor am i
> able to ping any machines on the inside net

Well, the good news is that it looks like all the negotiations are being
completed without an issue and esp transport packets are being emitted
from the client. Do you have a firewall running on the gateway? If so,
you will need to add rules to allow the 10.246.37.0/24 network to
communicate with the 10.246.38.0/24 network. Otherwise they will be
blocked after ipsec processing. You could try to run a tcpdump on the
external interface of your gateway to determine if the NAT-T transport
packets are arriving from the client. For example, you could try ...

tcpdump -i <external interface> udp and port 4500

... and then ping the 10.246.38.1 address. If the packets are getting to
the gateway, you should see them in the tcpdump. I can't imagine why
they wouldn't be since the same trasport/ports are being used for the
isakmp negotiations.

What OS and firewall package are you running?