[vpn-help] Stalled Connections

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Thu Mar 16 10:58:57 CST 2006

Michael Ragusa wrote:
> Ive just tested beta9 and like beta8, ssh and telnet sessions seem to
> stall out after 30 mins or so but with beta9 a constant ping stream is
> able to stay alive. only way to regain the ssh and telnet connection is
> to close them out and reopen them which happens with no problem.

Michael,

      Again, thanks for your excellent feedback. I ran some tests
overnight and everything went well. One thing I did notice is that the
drift in time accounting was a lot more severe than I had expected. I
also noticed that racoon allows for a much larger lead time between sa
expire and death. I will try to work out the particulars and adopt their
strategy. After all, this is supposed to be a client for ipsec-tools ;)

      I do have a question for you. Is the test machine being actively
used while running these tests? If so, what does your power management
setup look like? I'm mostly curious to hear at what time it powers down
hardware. I think windows calls this the system standby time. You may
also have BIOS settings that control this. If it is set to 30 minutes,
could you please disable test without this feature and let me know the
results. It is possible that there may be a minor bug in our kernel
protocol driver.

-Thanks