[vpn-help] Can't connect to server

Noach Sumner nss at compu-skill.com
Sun Sep 10 00:25:14 CDT 2006

I took a look at the Shrew VPN client and was really impressed with the
feature set. I looked at greenbow which is decent but it lacks a couple key
features to me (split DNS, and the ability to (specifically) define the
remote network(s)).

However I am unable to get Shrew to connect to my server (a Fortigate unit).
At first I couldn't connect at all and after a short while get a message
that Shrew is closing my connection. I changed the fortigate unit to use
aggressive authentication (instead of "Main (ID Protection)"). This changed
things such that I don't get disconnected (or it takes a long time) but I
never establish the connection. I am of course not connecting to a FreeBSD
unit so the response might be to go fly a kite but I believe the developer
is hoping to make it more compatible with commercial units.

Attached (I hope I can post attachments with this list) are the logs files I
generated. #1 is with MAIN authentication, #2 is with aggressive.

Thank you,

Noach Sumner