[Vpn-help] Hopefully the final 1.1 RC release ...

Peter Eisch peter at boku.net
Thu Sep 28 01:07:28 CDT 2006

On 9/27/06 11:57 PM, "Matthew Grooms" <mgrooms at shrew.net> wrote:

> ...  The only behavior that the
> check box modifies is that the servers asn1dn, offered as an identity,
> isn't compared with a client configured static value. I belive this is
> commonly referred to as authorization in addition to authentication.

The server's identity must be verified as being signed by the provided CA
cert.  If the check box is checked, does this verification happen?

> Being able to compare a peer ID ( asn1dn or otherwise ) with a static
> value exists in every IPSEC implementation that I am aware of. If not
> the ID, what property distinguishes your VPN gateway cert from another
> cert issued by the same CA?

It doesn't.  Maybe this is where I'm running off the track.  The point of
running a CA is to build a trust community.

Can you help me see an example of when one signed cert would need to be
distinguished from another signed cert on a VPN gateway?

> But I think this is all moot. I added a check box so that it can be
> disabled for asn1dn IDs. Problem solved right?

I'm looking to set up a pool of vpn servers (to give my frame of reference)
and I want to be able to have the clients hit any of the servers that each
have a cert signed by the same CA.  I could have all the servers use the
same identity -- and maybe that the "more right" way to approach it.

When I check that box, the server's cert is still checked against the CA
cert, right?

 <>
 if ($_ eq 'yes') {
    printf("excellent\r\n");
  } elsif ($_ eq 'no') {
    printf("this is a bad thing.  It needs to be.\r\n");
  } else {
    printf("I\'m still confused.\r\n");
  }
  exit;