[Vpn-help] MTU packet problems on Linux ...

Rodrigo Ferroni rferroni at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 15:58:10 CST 2007

Matthew:

You are right, the problem was related whit the mtu and fragmentation
packet.

First i tried to use ike_frag option (client and server) whit "force", but i
had the same result.

Then i look in racoon.conf we have the esp_frag, like said the man, this
option is for nat-t in tunnel mode,
fragmenting the ip packet before the esp encapsulation. this help to work
with adsl routers
that reject UDP fragments. Well didn't work nether because racoon log send
me a warning:
"552" Your kernel does not support esp_frag. I didn't find what is the
kernel module is related
whit this.

Using iptables couldn't understand well the chain in the mangle table tcpmss
(maximun segment size)
(-j TCPMSS --clamp-mss-to-pmtu or --set-mss). this is other thing to keep
trying.

So for now i solve the problem whit another solution, more simple,
i decrease the mtu size of the interface that is waiting for the vpn
connections.
(eth2 mtu: 1300, the default is 1500)

Thanks again mathew for all your help.

Rodrigo.