[Vpn-help] No trace of activity at connection startup

David Santinoli marauder at tiscali.it
Wed Oct 10 15:32:48 CDT 2007

Hallo,
  first, many thanks for the Windows client.  I just discovered it today
and started experimenting with my StrongS/WAN gateway.

However, I stumbled upon a weird problem.  After configuring my
connection, I double-clicked on its icon and the log window appeared.
Then I clicked "connect" at its bottom, and the following messages
appeared:

config loaded for site 's1.tieffesistemi.com'
configuring client settings ...
attached to key daemon ...
peer configured
iskamp proposal configured
esp proposal configured
client configured
server cert configured
client cert configured
client key configured
detached from key daemon ...

Note that "client key configured" was only displayed after a
considerable delay (around 15 seconds).

In the trace window, this was logged:

## : IKE Daemon, ver 2.0.1
## : Copyright 2007 Shrew Soft Inc.
## : This product linked OpenSSL 0.9.8e 23 Feb 2007
ii : opened C:\Programmi\ShrewSoft\VPN Client\debug\iked.log'
ii : opened C:\Programmi\ShrewSoft\VPN Client/debug/dump-pub.cap'
ii : rebuilding vnet device list ...
ii : device ROOT\VNET\0000 disabled
ii : network process thread begin ...
ii : pfkey process thread begin ...

However, I could see no signs of a connection being attempted, with no
network traffic originating from the Windows host either.

Relaunching the connection after closing the log window resulted in a
"client key config failed" error.

I have run the 2.0.1 client on Windows 2000 and Windows XP, both running
under VMWare.  Could this be the culprit?

Thanks,
 David
--
 David Santinoli
 Tieffe Sistemi S.r.l.                      viale Piceno 21, Milano