[Vpn-help] ShrewSoft v2.1.1 doesn't work with windows vista

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Sat Aug 16 12:22:34 CDT 2008

Dietmar Papperitz wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> who can help me for getting work ShrewSoft v2.1.1 with Windows Vista. If
> I start the tunnel I always get the following client trace:
>
> 08/08/08 22:26:25 !! : get_fwd - invalid physical address length
> 08/08/08 22:26:25 !! : no arp entry for src : 172.21.122.142

This error condition can only occur when the adapter being used is a PPP
adapter. Are you using dialup or PPPOE?

> You see that the VPN Client is behind a NAT. NAT-T is configured on
> Router and VPN Client. A router trace is empty, there is no traffic
> between VPN-Client and Router. In Vista Firewall  I configure Access to
> ShrewSoft (ipseca.exe) for in and out rules. The same with ports UDP 500
> and 4500 (NAT-T).
>
> What should I do wrong? Is this possible, someone has a documentation
> working  ShrewSoft v2.1.1 with Windows Vista?

I don't think your doing anything wrong. Its probably a bug that only
shows up under specific circumstances using Vista. If I can reproduce
the problem, there is a good chance that I can get this fixed for the
next release.

> With Windows XP the same works perfect!

Good. If it works for you in XP then we should be able to get it working
in Vista without too much effort.