[Vpn-help] Problem in configuring in ubuntu 8.04

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Sat Aug 23 10:15:04 CDT 2008

P.M.S.Prakash wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
>
>      From the following log entry, it looks like the client is not
>     attempting to use PFS for phase2 negotiations. Is this set in both
>     your windows and linux site configurations?
>

>         we require PFS but Quick I1 SA specifies no GROUP_DESCRIPTION
>

>     If so, there may be a problem with the unix vpn connect application
>     not setting this option correctly.
>

> Yes, I had set PFS to both "auto" and "group2". It fails to connect from
> unix, but connects from windows.

Prakash,

I built a new Ubuntu 8.04 system yesterday to perform some more testing.
After spending a few hours on this, I did find and fix a few bugs but
was not able to re-produce the two remaining issues you have reported.

1) The FQDN value is present after adding and then editing the site
configuration.

2) The IKE daemon properly negotiates PFS for phase2 when specified in a
site configuration.

I don't doubt that the problems you are experiencing are very real but I
need to be able to re-produce them before I can provide solutions. Could
you please answer a few more questions so I have a better idea of where
to look?

1) Are you using a 32bit or 64bit build of Ubuntu?

2) Have you tried the head version of the client from the public
subversion repository to see if the problems exist there as well? You
can obtain these sources via 'svn co svn://svn.shrew.net/ike/head'.