[Vpn-help] Client and Remote subnets are the same

Stefan Bauer stefan.bauer at plzk.de
Tue Dec 23 04:57:30 CST 2008

Jeff schrieb:
> The assigned IP range for the connected clients is indeed different
> than the office network, but it's the default local subnet within the
> home networks that seems to be the problem. Home Linksys routers
> default to 192.168.1.0/24.
>
> I am looking into a NAT solution (make the office net appear as
> 10.10.1.0/24 for example, but probably make it more obscure so as to
> not run into the same problem random free wifi), but that breaks DNS.
> Anyone got a solution for translating DNS? I read somewhere that JunOS
> automatically translates DNS results when bi-directional NAT is in
> effect, but I could not find anything stating the same about ScreenOS
> in the SSG.

Now i got the problem behind your idea. I would assign the boxes in
your office network who should be available for the roadwarriors an
ip-address from a different pool alongside the ip-address from the
192.168.1.0/24 pool. I dont see any effort in doing dns-translation as
your roadwarriors talking to ip-addreses not hostnames, dont they?

stefan