[Vpn-help] New 2.1.0 alpha 7 release ...

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Thu Feb 14 11:20:53 CST 2008

All,

I posted a new 2.1.0 alpha 7 release on the website yesterday. The only
major feature that has been added is support for renegotiating phase1
SAs in client mode. This means that the client connection time is no
longer limited to the lifespan of the ISAKMP SA initially negotiated.
Other changes include a major rewrite of the internal object database.
This helps normalize the reference counting API and provides a better
mechanism for handling error conditions and relaying them to the client
interface. My suspicion is that this change will fix the infrequent
random hangs that have been reported by some users. The other major
improvement was to the way DNS settings are handled during client tunnel
setup which I will cover in more detail below. Besides that, lots of
code cleanup and minor improvements have been made. Please see the
release changelogs on the download page for more detail.

http://www.shrew.net/?page=download

So, there has been a major oversight in name service configuration up
till now. I try to use a diverse environment for development and
testing. My main workstation is SMP and runs XP with static address and
DNS settings. My virtual machine workstation test rig provides a mixed
set of UP and SMP systems configured via DHCP to cover the various
platforms supported by the client software. Somehow, I missed the fact
that windows systems configured via DHCP utilize a different set of
registry entries for name service configuration. How did this happen?
The client software must grok registry settings of the public adapter to
setup its services accordingly. Local tests were successful on systems
currently configured via DHCP due to settings that happened to be
present in the registry from a previously static adapter configuration.
When the settings didn't match, the problem began to reveal itself. In
any case, this release should correct this major blunder by implementing
the appropriate handling based on the public interface configuration
method. For those of you using DHCP and are experiencing DNS or WINS
issues, please give this release a try and let me know if the situation
has improved. If is has, a bit of hate mail is certainly in order :)