[Vpn-help] DNS suffix search list

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Sun Jan 13 11:28:33 CST 2008

Jascha Petersen wrote:
> Hi Matthew,

Hi Jascha,

> Thank you for your awnser.

And thank you for your detailed response. Can you please try stopping
the DNS service using the Shrew Soft VPN Trace application and then
trying your connection DNS again?

> After you stop the dns cache and restarted it or using ipconfig /renew
> the DNS request went to the right DNS Server and the name resolve is
> working.
> What me confsued is that, after you are connected and no DNS is working
> you get the right DNS Server with the nslookup Tool under Windows, the
> request with nslookup are working but no resolution with tools like ping.
> I tried the 2.1 A5 without luck and using the DNSCache workaround... If
> you need further help I can offering you my help.

The nslookup tool bypasses the system DNS resolver and directly submits
requests to the DNS server. All normal requests pass to the system which
in turn pass through the dnscache. This is where our problems are coming
from, I think :/