[Vpn-help] New 2.1.0 release candidate ...

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Sat Jun 14 19:57:21 CDT 2008

All,

I just posted the second 2.1.0 release candidate on the website. This
build includes important bug fixes and improvements to DPD support. A
few major improvements have also been made to Vista platform support.

I noticed that the NDIS 5 Miniport driver was being installed on Vista
targets ever since the support was first introduced. They still loaded
and worked as Vista is somewhat backwards compatible in this regard.
After switching the installer scripts to install the NDIS 6 Miniport
driver, I started to experience quite a few problems. This helped expose
what, I hope, was the same issue reported by others installing the
client on Vista platforms. It would interfere with adapters using NDIS 6
Miniport ( Ethernet/WLAN ) drivers but legacy NDIS drivers worked fine.

The other improvement is related to Vista driver signing. I updated my
test hosts to SP1 and discovered that Microsoft had disabled the boot
load option for not verifying signed drivers. This forced our hand into
obtaining a code signing certificate which allows us to self sign Vista
drivers. What this means is that it is no longer necessary to muck with
system setting to load the client on Vista. You will still be prompted
to verify driver installation but it should 'just work'. With any luck,
signed drivers for the other platforms won't be too far off into the future.

http://www.shrew.net/?page=download

Fixing the Vista support took a lot of time to track down and correct. I
have a few other things to look into but I should be able to refocus on
other tasks early next week. If you had reported problems with Vista
installations, please give this new build a try and let me know how it
works out.

Thanks again,