[Vpn-help] Bluescreen with 2.1.0-rc2

mgrooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Mon Jun 23 10:58:23 CDT 2008

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 21:53:09 +0200, Joerg de la Haye <haye at lab-quade.de>
wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> with 2.1.0-rc2 I get a bluescreen under certain reproduceable
> circumstances. The error message is "IRQL_not_less_or_Equal" in
> conjuction with ndis.sys, and I guess it has to do with the ndis-changes
> from rc2, as it didn't occur with earlier versions.

Joerg & Matthew,

I was just doing a bit of research on the problem you reported. My
assumption is that your network card is an integrated onboard ethernet
controller. Maybe in a laptop? I was hoping to purchase a card that uses
the same hardware and driver but this may prove to be difficult.

Its difficult to tell what the problem may be unless I can reproduce the
problem using a machine that is connected to a kernel debugger. My
suspicion is that this is related to the task offload options of the
driver. The LWF driver emulates TCP offload but may have problems with
other hardware features.

Could you please try to disable the IPv4 Large Send Offload on the physical
NIC driver and let me know if this helps the situation? There may be other
offload options that you can disable for testing as well. If this does work
around your problem, then I will know what to work on.