[Vpn-help] connecting to SonicWall

Harondel J. Sibble help at pdscc.com
Sat May 24 17:44:20 CDT 2008

On 24 May 2008 at 10:05, Chris Hermansen wrote:

> Good people;
>
> Our company operates a SonicWall firewall / VPN gateway, and I work
> remotely on a laptop running Ubuntu, usually behind a Siemens Gigaset
> ADSL router / wireless box.  I hope to be able to use the ShrewSoft VPN
> Access manager for Linux to establish a VPN connection through this mess
> back to the "mother ship".
>
> Given my basic knowledge of the whole thing, from the above log of
> messages, I can't tell whether the Access manager is getting past the
> wireless router and out onto the internet, or much else.

Sonicwall tends to do some odd/non-standard things with their vpn setups.

You can read a posting I made on getting ipsecuritas (on Mac OSX) talking to
a TZ170 here

http://preview.tinyurl.com/29rra7

There are generally a few changes you'll need to make to the default GroupVPN
setup on the Sonicwall to get it to play nicely with other, non-Sonicwall
clients.

You'll also need to be able to see the logs on the sonicwall end when you are
connecting from the shrew side. If you see no connections on the SW side via
the logs, then at least you know you have further work to do on your end.

Hope that helps.

If I get a chance over the weekend, I'll install the latest shrew beta on my
ubuntu 6.0.6 vm and see if I can get it to successfully talk to the sonicwall
in my post above and report back.
--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting