[Vpn-help] connecting to SonicWall

Harondel J. Sibble help at pdscc.com
Sun May 25 16:09:44 CDT 2008

On 25 May 2008 at 13:01, mgrooms wrote:

> DHCP over IPsec support has been available in all 2.1.0 releases. However,

Gotcha

> I haven't been able to get it to work with the Sonicwall I have in my lab.
> Phase1 appears to complete without issue. I assume this is just a problem
> with our DHCP over IPsec implementation which was originally written to be
> Fortigate compatible.

Interesting... I have the same class of problem with the NCP VPN client
running on my Windows Mobile 5 PDA.  They recently added dhcp over ipsec
support and it works fine against my Fortigate 50a and Wifi 60a (running the
latest MR6 build), but consistently fails against the TZ170.

Which sonicwall do you have? Is it running enhanced or standard firmware?

> Do you mean that when DHCP over IPsec is selected, the obtain
> automatically is greyed out but ...
> a) you want to enter a static address but you cant

Nope, I can enter an ip address, which I figure I should not be able to do

> b) the client is requiring that you enter in an ip address

>From a UI perspective, it looks like it wants me to enter an address since
that field is NOT grayed out which it should be IMO. Everything else around
that field is grayed out.

> Using DHCP would mean you are requesting that an address be automatically
> assigned. The direct adapter mode is not an option as there must be a
> target virtual adapter to assign the address to. Naturally, using DHCP
> means there can be no static address assignment.

Makes sense.

> Unfortunately, I won't have time to investigate the Sonicwall
> compatibility issues fully until after the 2.1.0 release. The support
> is currently slated for 2.2.0 but I can probably bump it up to 2.1.1 if
> there is enough interest.

No problem, I'll test with it a bit and report back what I find, hopefully
that'll be useful when you do start working on it.

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting