[Vpn-help] Significant connection stability improvement ...

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Wed Oct 1 14:31:11 CDT 2008

All,

I am very excited to be writing this email as I recently fixed a bug
that has been eluding me for the better part of two years. It caused
periodic connection instability due to mishandling of computed Diffie
Hellman shared secret data. From a user perspective, this bug induced
seemingly random disconnects in the form of DPD timeouts or a sudden
loss of connectivity. Both of these issues were related to invalid key
data being used by a negotiated security association. A new beta has
been posted on the download page. If you have experienced connection
stability issues in the past, please consider testing this build which
also includes a few other platform specific bug fixes. Please see the
release notes for more details.

With that said, the client is still somewhat susceptible to packet loss
which can lead to similar symptoms. I am in the process of implementing
fixes for this and other deficiencies. My lab has been reconfigured to
artificially induce severe packet loss so it shouldn't take too long to
identify and correct any lingering issues.