[Vpn-help] Fwd: New 2.2.0 alpha available ...

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Tue Oct 28 18:31:49 CDT 2008

Rodrigo Ferroni wrote:
> 2.2.0-alpha-2-x86 just works fine on another pc. Thanks.
> Rodrigo.

Rodrigo,

 From the log output you sent me in a private email, it would appear the
connection problem you were seeing on the first workstation while using
alpha-2 was related to an old ISAKMP SA still being used by the gateway
from a previous connection attempt. Its a good idea to use DPD to
prevent problems like this from occurring.

I believe the connection succeeded from the second host using alpha-2
because there was no previous attempt from that host. If you connect
again from the first host, the one that you experienced difficulties
with, after you either ...

1) clear the existing ISAKMP SA from the IPsec VPN gateway
2) allow the existing ISAKMP SA to expire

... everything should work normally. You can clear an ISAKMP SA in
racoon by using the racoonctl tool via the admin port if you compiled
ipsec-tools with this feature enabled. Otherwise, the only way to
accomplish this would be to restart racoon.

Thanks for testing the 2.2.0 alpha builds. Please let me know if you are
unable to correct this problem.