[Vpn-help] ubuntu Linux + shrewsoft 2.1 issue connecting to netscreen

Stephen Davies stephen at closednetworks.org.uk
Tue Apr 7 07:21:49 CDT 2009

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could help. I am having an issue connecting my
laptop to my offices netscreen firewall using a dial up VPN.
The laptop is running Ubuntu 8.10 with shrewsoft VPN client 2.1
The firewall I am trying to connecting to is a netscreen-204 with
firmware 5.4.0r6.0

The message the netscreen give me whilst trying to connect is "Phase 1:
Responder starts AGGRESSIVE mode negotiations." and just sits there.

The linux laptop disconnects instantly with the error "Invalid message
from gateway".

this there anywhere in the linux client where I can obtain a better view
of what the Invalid message is?

The VPN is a standard mutual psk vpn.

Any assistance would be great fully received.

Stephen Davies