[Vpn-help] pcf cert file - connects after install never again after reboot 64bit Windows7

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Wed Dec 2 14:48:15 CST 2009

Tony Hemy wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I am connecting to a customer site using the 2.1.5-rc5.
>
> I import the pcf and setup the dns.
>
> The client connects fine first time after I install, however after a
> reboot it starts to go wonky. Sometimes it connects, sometimes it does
> not. During the occasions it connects I can sometimes connect using TS
> (but it losses connection fast) and sometime not.
>
> Straight after installing Shrew is awesome and just what I need, it goes
> sqwurily after a reboot… so I know it can work J

Hi Tony,

When the connection doesn't work, do you happen to see multiple IP
addresses assigned to the Shrew Soft virtual adapter? One other possible
cause is a bug I noticed recently on Vista/7. Sometimes the MAC address
of the adapter isn't read properly by the client when the tunnel is
built which leads to communication failures. I will be releasing a 2.1.6
beta build along with the 2.1.5 final release that will include a fix
for this. I couldn't back port the change to 2.1.5 because it was too
intrusive. You can give it a try once 2.1.6 has been uploaded to see if
it corrects your issue.