[Vpn-help] Problem with 2.1.5-rc5 on Vista 64bit

Tilman Schröder tilman.schroeder at tu-dortmund.de
Wed Dec 2 17:33:29 CST 2009

Heyho,

I like this VPN client very much because it is easy to use ... however,
I am still waiting for the correct handling of default routes.

I installed 2.1.5-rc5 on my Vista 64 bit laptop and the installation
routine removed the old version of shrew. This worked fine until Windows
told me that the installation was perhaps not successful and I should
reinstall the program with the correct settings. I did this and now the
installer told me that there was one file missing while removing the
"old" version of the shrew client. Then the same error came up when
installing the client. From this time on (before rebooting) I had no
network connection anymore! I removed the shrew client, same error (file
missing). I removed the shrew miniport filters in the device manager, no
success!

Moreover, I cannot boot normally any longer, I always get a BSOD saying
something about an NDIS BUG. Every change after removing the client was
made in Windows' safe mode.

Reinstalling the new rc-5 in the safe mode solved the problem ... but I
do not think this behaviour was expected?

Bye,

Tilman