[Vpn-help] Cisco Client Access Rules

NMaio at guesswho.com NMaio at guesswho.com
Sat Dec 12 15:42:40 CST 2009

Matthew,
Thank you for the response.  I believe we might be talking about two different things though.  What I am referring to is the fact that with PIX/ASA version 7 and up you have the ability to restrict a client from access to the gateway if the version number of the client is not correct.  VPNC has a way to send anything you want which means you can make it look like it is an actual Cisco client even though it is not.  The shrew client "appears" not to send a client type or version so if you are restricting to specific client versions the shrew client will not work unless you allow all clients.

Here is the command I am referring to.  This is not acls applied to the traffic from a client...it is just restricting the client version.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/command/reference/c4.html#wp2118499

Here is a thread of what I am referring to in the VPNC client.  The config directve is "Application Version"
http://lists.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/pipermail/vpnc-devel/2007-February/001342.html

Thanks for your help.
Nick