[Vpn-help] persistent connection

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Thu Dec 10 02:29:25 CST 2009

Sverker Abrahamsson wrote:
> I need a client to connect a Linux server to a Cisco ASA VPN. I’m
> looking at shrew and it’s tools and while I’m able to setup the
> connection I’m not that interested in having to do it manually with the
> gui tools (except for configuring).
>
> Therefore I’m wondering if it’s possible to configure the vpn in e.g.
> iked.conf so that it gets established when iked is started, and that
> it’s persistent so that the connection is re-established when it is
> disconnected.

The features that enable client connectivity were designed to be user
driven. The IKE daemon can be run stand alone but it has no provisions
for storing things like XAuth credentials in files to allow your client
connection to act like a nailed site-to-site connection.

Have a look at ipsec-tools. You should be able to configure it to talk
to an ASA gateway and have it run without user interaction.