[Vpn-help] 2.1.5-release and Windows 7 64bit

Rick Kline mondhaschen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 11:05:28 CST 2009

Hi Matthew

I set the MTU under the Site Configuration for the connection. It
worked ok until a reboot.

Using, ping -f -l [packetsize]  [my isp gateway address] I determined
that 1325 was the best
MTU with no DF errors and decided to use 1300.

So I set the MTU to 1300 in the VPN Site Configuration.

After a reboot, even though the Site Configuration was still set to
1300, when I used netsh interface ipv4
"show interface" it had the MTU for the shrew interface set at 1380.
which ment that ssh (putty) would
login but as soon as I did an ls or a cd, ssh hung.

So I used regedit to alter the MTU manually for the shrew interface.

Set the MTU key (DWORD) to 1300 under the following;
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{4F09239A-A407-4890-B0B7-1AA0986F7A7F}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{4F09239A-A407-4890-B0B7-1AA0986F7A7F}

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{4F09239A-A407-4890-B0B7-1AA0986F7A7F}

I've had no problems at all since I manually set the MTU for the
interface, multiple reboots and connected to the vpn all day. I have
also added another 4 VPN connections and all of them work ok.

Thank you.

Rick