[Vpn-help] Development Update ...

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Tue Feb 24 21:28:32 CST 2009

Matthew Grooms wrote:
> All,
>
> Just wanted to send out a quick development update. Some of you may have
> noticed, I posted two new builds last night. There were some significant
> changes so here is a quick summary ...
>
> Extensive testing was done with the installer and a few problems were
> discovered. A typo in the NSIS uninstall script prevented the filter
> driver from being removed properly on some 64 bit platforms. This also
> had the side effect of requiring a reboot to remove the driver package.
> With older builds, the install simply ran the existing uninstall process
> before allowing a new install to take place. Now the installer includes
> an embedded uninstaller that runs immediately before a new install takes
> place. This circumvents any latent bugs in an existing uninstaller and
> provides a more seamless experience for the user. If you plan to run an
> upgrade on a machine that has a version of the client installed, please
> skip the uninstall and just run the new installer from now on. A few
> other installer relate bugs were fixed.

All,

Due to bugs reported in these builds, I removed the individual x86 and
a64 versions of the installer packages and pushed out two new builds
that correct the issues. Only the universal install package will be
available from now on. Its too easy to make a mistake while merging
changes between three different installer scripts by hand. Individual
platform installers may be brought back for final releases if there is
enough interest.

r1303 | mgrooms | 2009-02-25 04:03:50 -0600 (Wed, 25 Feb 2009) | 1 line

Correct a few more installer issues. There was a major issue with a typo
that slipped in last minute that caused problems with the default 64bit
install path. Another bug that would cause an uninstall to fail if the
install path was non-standard was also corrected. Lastly, the invalid
legacy location of the uninstaller path used by 2.1.4 and older versions
is now removed. While here, cleanup some white spaces in comments.