[Vpn-help] trying to connect VPN to Zyxel 2602hwl adsl router

Paul Webster pwebster at softhome.net
Mon Jan 5 01:05:48 CST 2009

I've configured a VPN from client v2.1.4 to a Zyxel ADSL router and the
tunnel is active, but for some reason the router can't seem to find a
route back across theVPN.

1. If I ping from the client (10.1.1.15)  to the remote office(e.g.
192.168.1.2) I see packets on the remote lan but the return packets only
seem to go as far as the Zyxel router (192.168.1.1) then disappear.
2. If I try to ping from inside the Zyxel router to the VPN
client(10.1.1.15) when the tunnel is active it tells me the destination
is not reachable.
3. The Shrew Soft VPN Trace only ever shows outbound traffic on the
Security Associations page.

Why can't the router find it's way back across the VPN?

NETWORK TOPOLOGY:

[Shrew VPN client on XP 10.1.1.15]

[netcomm nb9w ADSL router 10.1.1.1]

(internet)