[Vpn-help] Trying to connect with FVS338

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Tue Jun 16 08:54:36 CDT 2009

Fabio Cigoi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After many attempts to follow the How-to published on Shrew Soft's
> website to connect to a Netgear FVS338 router from the Linux version
> of the client, many errors and many solutions found, during which the
> only message was "timeout during negotiation", I managed to turn it
> into a "invalid message from gateway" on the GUI, and I found a
> "phase1 id type mismatch ( received fqdn but expected user-fqdn )" Has
> anyone bumped into this message before and managed to understand how
> to sort it out ?

Hi Fabio,

This means that the clients ID is being accepted by the gateway but the
gateways ID is being rejected by the client. My advice would be to set
the Remote ID type to User Fully Qualified Domain Name ( because thats
whats being sent ) and try to connect again. At that point, if you see
an error message about the ID being rejected, the log will also contain
the value sent by gateway now that the types match.

Good luck,