[Vpn-help] Compiled Shrew 2.1.5 beta for Ubuntu 8.10 and Netgear DG834G

shrew.nelipot at spamgourmet.com shrew.nelipot at spamgourmet.com
Thu May 7 05:00:57 CDT 2009

Hi Matthew,

I thought I'd give installation another shot after first uninstalling Shrew
2.10 in Synaptic.  Installation seemed to go just fine.  After installation
of my custom built DEB file I got some odd behaviour.  Firstly, there is no
menu item for the Shrew VPN client, but that's minor.  So I started iked,
after reading the README file, although I wasn't really sure that I needed
to do that, in a terminal window and that seemed to go okay.  Then I started
ikea in the same window, which opened the familiar Shrew Soft VPN Client.  I
created a new profile, which seemed to work well as there were many more
configurable items.  Under the Authentication tab for local host I found
many different Identification types that weren't there on the older version,
such as Fully Qualified Domain Name, Key Identifier and User Fully Qualified
Domain Name.  The same was true for Remote Identity which has ASN. 1
Distinguished Name in addition.

I entered all the necessary data and saved it.  Then I double clicked the
profile I wanted to use (the new one I just created) to connect and it
opened up ikec, I believe it is called.  When I hit the Connect button I got
the message 'failed to attach to key daemon....' and nothing more happens.
There is no log entried recorded in the VPN server log either.  If I try to
types previously available all seem to have disappeared and I am left with
just the old IP address field under the previous version of Shrew that I had
installed.  It's almost as if I have a mixture of the two versions running.
Sort of like when the human and the fly get mixed up in the time machine!

Seems to me that something went wrong with the install process.  Any
suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve