[Vpn-help] Trouble with VPN client 2.1.5-rc-4 & 2.1.5-rc-5

mike.reid reidrik.von at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 01:41:27 CST 2009

Hello,

I am new to this list and to the Shrewsoft VPN client.   My current
configuration is a MacBook Pro running VMWare Fusion 3.0 and Windows 7 x64.
I had rc4 installed on the W7 x64 VM and it failed to connect using my
existing Cisco x32 VPN client PCF file. I saw rc5 show up today and
installed it to get the same failure to connect as rc4 with the same PCF.
 Below is feedback that I received from the Shrewsoft client:

config loaded for site 'MyWorkingPCF.pcf'
configuring client settings ...
attached to key daemon ...
peer configured
iskamp proposal configured
esp proposal configured
client configured
local id configured
pre-shared key configured
bringing up tunnel ...
network device configured
tunnel enabled
session terminated by gateway
tunnel disabled
detached from key daemon ...
attached to key daemon ...
peer configured
iskamp proposal configured
esp proposal configured
client configured
local id configured
pre-shared key configured
bringing up tunnel ...
user authentication error
tunnel disabled
detached from key daemon ...

The PCF file used is the same that I had successfully used with the Cisco
VPN client running XP as a VM as well as from the Mac OS X version of the
Cisco client.  I also have successfully run the NCP VPN client in my W7 VM
after importing the same PCF file.  After importing the PCF file into the
NCP client it worked on the first try however it is $150 USD...

Any suggestions on what is needed to get a functioning PCF file working in
the Shrewsoft client?  After importing the PCF into SS, I have not tweaked
any of the settings (all at their default). Below is my PCF with details
replaced by "..."

[main]
Description=C....
Host=b....
AuthType=1
!GroupName=C....
GroupPwd=
!enc_GroupPwd=3.....
EnableISPConnect=0
ISPConnectType=0
ISPConnect=GPRS
ISPPhonebook=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Microsoft\Network\Connections\Pbk\rasphone.pbk
ISPCommand=
Username=
SaveUserPassword=0
UserPassword=
enc_UserPassword=
NTDomain=
EnableBackup=1
BackupServer=d...
EnableMSLogon=1
MSLogonType=0
!EnableNat=1
TunnelingMode=0
TcpTunnelingPort=10000
CertStore=0
CertName=
CertPath=
CertSubjectName=
CertSerialHash=00000000000000000000000000000000
SendCertChain=0
PeerTimeout=90
!EnableLocalLAN=1

THx!