[Vpn-help] Netscreen and routing

Andy LaFontaine Andy.LaFontaine at ehc-global.com
Wed Nov 18 09:05:34 CST 2009

I believe the example uses policy based tunnel configuration. I use a
different method of tunnel config on my netscreen router, which is
slightly different than is outlined on the web site example. If you want
to try, those differences are:

Under Network/Interfaces: created a new unnumbered Tunnel Interface in
Untrust zone and specifying the WAN Ethernet interface port.

Under AutoKey IKE,

instead of Bind To "none", I have bind to "Tunnel Interface" and set the
tunnel created above.

Set checkbox Proxy-ID

Set Local IP/Netmask to the address range of the network served by the
router (for example: 192.168.1.0/24 if all IPs on the router's network
are using 192.168.1.x addresses). In the shrew client config, under the
Policy tab, I added the same address range.

Set remote IP/Netmask to 255.255.255.255/32

Under AutoKey Gateway: I used Aggressive Mode instead of Main (I think
this is necessary for any client at a changeable IP)

Most of the other router settings are the same as the example, the
policy I use though is just a basic permit/deny policy instead of having
specific tunnel related config as in the example. When I originally set
this up some time ago, I remember having similar issues to what you
mention, and in my case it had to do with getting the Local IP/Netmask
settings correct on the router and (originally) on the netscreen-remote
client. I never actually tried the policy based tunnel config as in the
example, but I know the shrewvpn client works well with my existing type
of setup.