[Vpn-help] BSOD on Vista Home Premium

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Wed Oct 28 01:29:48 CDT 2009

Ivan Chou wrote:
> FWIW, the VPN client used to run well (albeit with a rare BSOD once
> every week) on Vista 64-bit Home Premium with 2.1.4-rc-3.  Starting
> yesterday, I got the BSOD upon every bootup, with virtualnet.sys
> instead of vfilter.sys.  I resorted to a last known good config, and
> made sure a Windows Update hadn't caused the issue.  There were no
> recent updates, so I'm really not sure what caused the change.  A
> fresh uninstall (making sure virtualnet.sys and vfilter.sys were
> cleaned out) and re-install to 2.1.5-rc-4 made no difference.

> 1: kd> !analyze -v
> *                                                                             *
> *                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *
> *                                                                             *
>
> DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (d1)
> An attempt was made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an
> interrupt request level (IRQL) that is too high.  This is usually
> caused by drivers using improper addresses.
> If kernel debugger is available get stack backtrace.

Ivan,

I am relatively certain this problem is now corrected in our source code
repository. A number of the virtual network driver functions were marked
pageable when they shouldn't have been. Several other edge case problems
have been fixed as well.

The filter drivers have also seen some major improvements. In fact, our
contract kernel developer reported the other day that they now pass all
but two Microsoft driver verification tests. Of the two failures that
remain, one was a minor INF typo we need to track down and the other was
a deficiency in the test setup to provide suspend and resume. In other
words, we are extremely close to having high quality bug free drivers :)

Sorry to hear the current build is giving you trouble. I can assure you,
we are working very hard to correct all remaining issues. I will send an
update to the list once more information becomes available.