[Vpn-help] shrewsoft not respoding to openswan messages during phase I

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Thu Sep 10 15:44:39 CDT 2009

Mohit Mehta wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
>
> Thanks for responding. As it turned out, your suspicion about the driver misbehaving was correct. I switched from using a wired connection that was using Broadcom NetXtreme 57XX device to a wireless connection that's using an Intel device and now I'm able to establish a VPN connection to the openswan server.
>
> However, a different problem I have now is that I cannot ping a host (192.168.74.2) in the remote private subnet (192.168.74.0/24) from my pc. Perhaps, a misconfiguration on my part? I do see a route to 192.168.74.0/24 via 192.168.74.5 (virtual adapter address) on my PC after the client has established a connection to the VPN server. The config for both the openswan server and shrewsoft client are below -

Hi Mohit,

I believe the address that you have assigned to your virtual adapter is
from a network that overlaps a remote private network.

> Shrew soft config :
>
> s:client-iface:virtual
> s:client-ip-addr:192.168.74.5
> s:client-ip-mask:255.255.255.0
> s:policy-list-include:192.168.74.0 / 255.255.255.0

I'm not really sure how you would like the final configuration to work.
If your client needs to access a remote network such as 192.168.74.0/24,
you will need to use a different address for your virtual adapter such
as 10.168.74.5. The VPN gateway will need to allow access from whatever
network you select to use as client virtual IP addresses.

Hope this helps,