[Vpn-help] 2.1.5-rc-3

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Mon Sep 14 01:23:41 CDT 2009

Lynn Denton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm a newbie, so please bare with me.
>
> I am so happy to have found 2.1.5-rc-3, so I can VPN into work on my
> 64bit Vista laptop this is 100x better then my work laptop.
> I was able to configure it, and have been able to map to drives on my
> VPN network.
>
> My question is, is my personal folders/documents viewable to anyone else
> through the VPN?
> Or is the only information viewable both ways are the folders that I've
> mapped to?
>
> I'd love to VPN using my personal laptop, but obviously only if none of
> my data on my laptop can be accessed.
>
> Thanks so much for your help!!!  :)

Hi Lynn,

The purpose of IPsec is to encrypt and/or authenticate traffic between
two IPsec peers. This prevents other hosts from inspecting your packets
or injecting additional packets into your conversation. The hosts on
both peers still need to take measures to ensure sensitive information
cannot be accessed by other means. A good place to start is by using a
firewall on hosts that are public network facing.

I'm sorry I can't go into more detail. I simply don't have the time to
fully answer such a broad question. Please read up on IPsec and how it
can be used to secure communications over public networks.