[Vpn-help] Shrew VPN client - tunnel enabled but cannot access remote side

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Mon Sep 28 23:17:57 CDT 2009

V.T.Marvin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have installed Shrew VPN client (latest stable 2.1.4) on my Acer
> notebook with Vista Home Premium SP2.
> I need to connect to VPN gateway running on HP ProCurve 7102dl with VPN
> module.
> When I am using original HP Procurve VPN client on WinXP everything
> works ok (client is not compatible with Vista).
> It should work even from Vista using Microsoft IPSec client, but
> unfortunately Vista Home does not have secpol module to enable NAT-T on
> them *eh*.
>
> With Shrew VPN client tunnel is established ... or at least connection
> windows says:
> bringing up tunnel ...
> network device configured
> tunnel enabled
> then I can ping local VPN network interface but cannot ping/access
> remote network.
> There are no errors on ProCurve side logs, according to debug info on
> ProCurve VPN - tunnel building is succesful including IKE config pull,
> after that it receives keepalives etc. Everything looks as it should on
> gateway side.

Hi M,

Have you used the VPN Trace application to see if the phase2 IPSec SA is
being negotiated properly? My guess is that you are completing phase1
but the phase2 proposal is being rejected. If your not sure how to use
the VPN Trace application, have a look at the following document for
more details ...

http://www.shrew.net/support/wiki/BugReportVpnWindows

Hope this helps,