[vpn-help] Shrew 2.1.4 + Ubuntu 9.10 x64 + Juniper SSG =xAuth failure

Oskar Ruckle oskar.ruckle at radpoint.se
Thu Apr 8 15:20:17 CDT 2010

Hi!

I'm having a bit of problem with a setup with Juniper SSG box, (ScreenOS 6.x) configured with a Remote-User VPN.
The setup is very similar to the Shrew example config with the exception of it being a route-based setup, (i.e. not policy based). I'm convinced this shouldn't be an issue.

Several clients are running different flavors of windows with Shrew with no issues at all. Everything works on all these PC's.

The one Linux box is also running Shrew, (2.1.4) and the same imported config as the PCs. But no go...

I get:
local id configured
remote id configured
pre-shared key configured
bringing up tunnel ...
user authentication error
tunnel disabled
detached from key daemon ...

The iked.log says:
10/04/08 21:39:21 !! : duplicate xauth request, authentication failed
10/04/08 21:51:27 !! : duplicate xauth request, authentication failed

In the firewall I can see that Phase1 succseeds. I don't have access to the firewall logs right now, but can post details later if needed.

As I said. The setup is pretty much by the book: Mutual PSK + xAuth.

Btw, the user and password is OK. If i use the same config and user/password on a windows PC the tunnel works.

Any thoughts or ideas?

regards,
/Oskar