[vpn-help] Internet Access Is Lost Win7 64-bit

Larry Burch lmburch at comcast.net
Sun Apr 11 13:51:16 CDT 2010

I'm new to Shrew Soft VPN Client -- due to a new laptop, running Windows 7, with the 64-bit
processor that Cisco's vpn client refuses to run on.  I installed the "stable" Shrew Soft v2.1.5
release about 10 days ago.

I have encountered the same problem reported by a few others:  After installing Shrew Soft v2.1.5
*and* then rebooting, I no longer have any Internet connectability -- and also no vpn connectivity.

As recommended by Stefan (and seconded by Matthew) in the Archives, I can disable the DNS Proxy
Daemon service, which regains Internet connectivity.  But *not* any vpn connection.

I am assuming that the disabling is properly accomplished in the Task Manager's "Services" tab,
right-clicking on "ShrewSoft DNS Proxy Daemon" for the item named "dptd".  IF THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT
METHOD, please tell me what I *should* be doing!

The stopping of "dptd" does restore Internet access for me, but not vpn.

After rebooting, I again have no Internet or vpn access.  And stopping DNS Proxy again restores
Internet but no vpn capability.

Restarting the DNS Proxy (in Task Mgr's Services tab) does not improve the situation.

I have now installed the v2.1.6 beta-7, with same results.

At the present, my tactic is to "sleep" my PC (instead of "shutdown"), or else to uninstall Shrew
Soft vpn just before shutting down and then re-installing after restarting.

Any suggestions?