[vpn-help] shrew on linux client

caio elcaio at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 16:44:51 CDT 2010

Hello,

I've installed shrew v2.1.6 (linked to OpenSSL 0.9.8n) on a slackware
linux laptop and try to connect to a cisco box vpn.
Tun module is loaded ok and /dev/net/tun exist.
I see on ikec client the following:

   config loaded for site 'myconfig'
   attached to key daemon ...
   peer configured
   iskamp proposal configured
   esp proposal configured
   client configured
   local id configured
   remote id configured
   pre-shared key configured
   bringing up tunnel ...
   network device configured
   tunnel enabled

Finally when i press "disconnect" button:

    bringing down tunnel ...
    session terminated by user
    tunnel disabled
    detached from key daemon ...

Everything seem to be ok, and what I see is that an ip is properly
assigned to my tap0 interface and a ping to itself responds ok. Also a
default route is added to the route table.

But there is no connection to the outside (i also lost connection via
active wlan1 interface).

Cisco side configuration is something like this:

    crypto isakmp policy 3
    encr 3des
    authentication pre-share
    group 2
    !
    crypto isakmp client configuration group <private>
    key <private_too>
    pool vpnpool

I can attach you a log if you need more debug. Or if need more info
you can ask me.
I have to mention I also tried with stable v2.1.5.

Thanks,
Caio