[vpn-help] FW: Blue Screen of death - 2.16 beta 7

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Tue Apr 20 03:14:16 CDT 2010

On 4/5/2010 7:27 AM, Joel Wener wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed the vpn client in the attached link, and I still get BSOD when I disconnect from windows VPN.  (Without shrew installed over the last week, I never had a BSOD).
>
> I have attached the mini-dump file from this mornings crash.

Hi Joel,

The crash happened in exactly the same place but it doesn't make a whole
lot of sense. There is a status indication coming from the NDIS WAN
driver that passes a message which contains a pointer to a structure.
The crash happens when I try to read a pointer value in that structure.
I'm starting to believe its a trash pointer but I have one other thing
to try if this build still doesn't fix the problem.

I added a bunch of sanity checks on the message fields, the reported
structure length and other structure fields in an attempt to avoid
evaluating memory that, according to the status indication definition,
should be readable.

Can you please give this build a spin? Hopefully its a winner.

http://www.shrew.net/download/vpn/vpn-client-2.1.6-wlfix2.exe