[vpn-help] Again: no response vom DHCP server (Fortigate 80C 4.0 MR1)

Weber, Uwe uw at rnt.de
Mon Aug 2 05:39:55 CDT 2010

Hi there

Another no response vom DHCP server issue: I have set up a ipsec dialup vpn against a FGT 80C, did all the testing with their native Forticlient and everthing was fine. As we had some PCs with the actual Shrew vpn client software already installed, I gave it a try and it worked fine as well.
Over the weekend some users connected to the vpn and it suddently stopped working with the message: no response from DHCP server.
(It is DHCP over IPSEC on the FGT)
When I looked into it today the first thing that I found was that I could still connect with the fortigate client and I could not with the Shrew client. The second thing, that I found, was that all the leases from the DHCP-over-IPSEC range had already been leased out, but were not active (since no client was connected) Then I cleared all the leases via command line on the FGT and yeeeehaaaaaa! could connect with the Shrew-client again.
It would be nice, if that could be fixed, because I really like the client and would only reluctantly uninstall it from my clients and use the Forticlient instead :)

Uwe Weber

Technik

Rausch Netzwerktechnik GmbH
Englerstr. 26