[vpn-help] Shutting down one tunnel disconnects all

Tim Burns tjburns at charter.net
Fri Aug 20 12:56:48 CDT 2010

  I have 2 machines that often are on a public wireless network at a
local building.  My office had a Netgear FVS-338 firewall, and we are
establishing our tunnels to that box using the shrew client.

When we are both on at the same time, I have seen two things.

First, sometimes when the person on the second machine logs in on a
remote destop connection, the first person's connection to remote
desktop (on a different machine) disconnects.

Second, if either person disconnects the tunnel from their machine, all
access is lost for the other machine, even though shrew's status says
that the tunnel still exists.

I have tried setting these up on different rules within the firewall and
with different address ranges so there is not a conflict, that didn't
change anything.

Is this just part of the vpn, or am I missing something that allows us
to independently control our tunnels?