[vpn-help] Require help with troubleshooting samba shares over ipsec

Matthew Grooms mgrooms at shrew.net
Mon Aug 23 23:15:47 CDT 2010

On 8/20/2010 2:00 AM, Brett Morrison wrote:
> Hi Matthew
> Just an update on this situation.
> We have tried another couple of changes, but nothing seems to help.
> We have also tested Shrewsoft VPN 2.1.6 (as per your link) on a win XP
> sp3 machine, and this suffers the same problem.
> As noted previously this was not a problem with Juniper Netscreen Remote
> Client, which connects to the same gateway, using the same user
> accounts. But I have never liked Netscreen...
> Do you have any other ideas at the moment?

Hi Brett,

Sorry for the delay. I have been extremely busy the last week. As for
your issue, here are a few more things to try.

1) Can the client host resolve the samba server using netbios or is it
only accessible using the IP address? If the latter is true, have you
tried manually adding an entry to the smhosts file and then trying to
access the samba share?

2) Can you ping the host using a 1500 byte packet size ( ping -l 1500
x.x.x.x )? If not, then this very well still be MTU related.